A sick child is the cause of anxiety and anxiety for parents. Therefore, if the baby complains of nausea and refuses to eat, and then he begins to vomit, first of all you should check the urine of the baby.
Therefore, it is important to know the possible causes of acetone in the urine of a child and, if necessary, contact your pediatrician for help.
Why does acetone appear in the urine of a child?
Let's try to figure it out. Our body needs energy. It is taken from glucose, which is part of the food.
The main part is spent on nutrition of cells, and a certain amount accumulates by the liver in the form of a compound - glycogen. Its reserves in adults are very large, but in babies are extremely small.
When a situation occurs with a child that requires a lot of energy (stress, high temperature or physical stress), glycogen begins to be intensively spent, and it may not be enough. In this case, the body tries to get the missing energy from the fat cells and begins their splitting.
As a result of this reaction occurring in the liver, ketones are synthesized. These are toxic compounds. They were given a common name - acetone. Normally, ketones are broken down completely and excreted in the urine. When the formation of acetone occurs faster than its utilization, it accumulates to critical values and begins to destroy cells.
The brain suffers first. Acetone irritates the esophageal mucosa. As a result, the child begins to vomit. A condition where acetone in the urine becomes above the permissible rate is called ketonuria (or acetonuria).
Physiological causes of increased acetone in the urine of a child
The physiological reasons are as follows:
- There is too little glucose in the baby’s blood. The reason can be long and frequent hungry gaps and unhealthy food. Or fermentopathy - poor digestion and assimilation of food. Lack of glucose can be caused by illness, mental strain, excessive exercise, or stress;
- excess protein and fat. This happens when a baby eats a lot of high-calorie and spicy foods, or if it has problems with digestion. The body in such a situation should intensively process proteins and fats, starting the process of gluconeogenesis;
- worm infestation;
- taking antibiotics.
Pathological causes of ketonuria in the baby
Among the pathological causes of ketonuria:
- diabetes. And although the level of glucose is within the normal range, its use is difficult due to the lack of insulin. Indeed, acetone in the urine is considered an early manifestation of diabetes, so its analysis allows you to begin treatment of the disease as soon as possible. However, not all babies with ketonuria have other evidence of diabetes: thirst, weight loss and high glucose. That is, the acetone present in the urine is caused by other problems;
- liver disease;
The well-known pediatrician E. Komarovsky argues that the emergence of ketonuria in a child is determined by its individual physiological features: glycogen stores, lipid synthesis speed and the ability of the kidneys to quickly remove acetone.
And so there are babies whose acetone never accumulates, even in a serious condition, and in others, ketonemia occurs in any disease.
What raises in infants?
Excess ketone bodies can be observed in the blood and urine of the newborn.
Anxious "bell" for parents should be such symptoms:
- nausea and vomiting become too frequent;
- temperature increased for no apparent reason;
- yellowish taint on the tongue;
- baby loses weight;
- Hapah from the mouth.
A frequent cause of these manifestations is the lack of diet and the wrong diet.
If a mother is breastfeeding, she should eat more low-calorie food, and reduce fatty foods to a minimum. The best choice: chicken or turkey meat, beef, sea fish. Forget semi-finished products and products with flavors and other chemical additives.
If the newborn is on artificial nutrition, then acetone can be lowered by adding carbohydrate food to its diet. It is permissible to feed the baby with acidic fruits and vegetables. A good addition will be compote of dried fruit.
Ketonuria in a baby is manifested as follows:
- after eating or drinking, the child begins to vomit;
- complaints of abdominal pain;
- the baby turns out to eat;
- the skin is dry and pale, and the cheeks are red;
- urination weak and rare;
- body temperature above normal;
- the liver is enlarged;
- agitated state is quickly replaced by lethargy;
- in vomit, as well as the urine and respiration of the child, acetone is clearly felt;
Ketonuria is very easy to detect at home using test strips for acetone. If the tester is pink with urine, then traces of acetone are present. When the color of the strip darkens to purple - intoxication is pronounced.
Not necessarily all the listed signs will be present. It is important that parents, knowing the general symptoms of acetonuria, help the child in time.
It is noticed that a similar clinical picture is more common in children thin and easily excitable. In addition, acetone can appear after strong negative emotions, viral infections and excess fatty foods.
Principles of treatment
Therapy for a mild form of ketonuria is as follows: as soon as you feel the urine of your baby suddenly smell like acetone, immediately give it any sweetness.. It can be candy or sweet water, juice or tea.
The main task is to prevent dehydration. Therefore, give the child more liquid. If the baby feels fine by the end of the first day, you can continue to treat him at home.
But when the child refuses to drink, the last urination was 4 hours ago, and it vomits - urgently hospitalize the baby. In the hospital, he will be given a drip with glucose, and the ketones will immediately go down. An enema will also be given.
Additionally, the child will be given to drink Smektu or Enterosgel. To increase urination, baby strenuously otpaivayut sweet water. In parallel with the treatment of acetonomy, the doctor examines the blood of a small patient for sugar, to eliminate diabetes.
It is undesirable to feed a child during an acetonemic crisis.
When the attack is over, you should begin to adhere to therapeutic nutrition:
- 1 day. You need to drink a lot (often a little bit) and eat almost nothing;
- 2 day. Give the baby a decoction of raisins and rice and a few crackers. If all is well, there will be no vomiting;
- the next 3 days, the child continues to drink heavily, eat baked apples, take a decoction of raisins with rice, biscuits. The diet is replenished with kefir, steam dishes, boiled fish and cereals. Soups should be cooked with lean meatballs;
- feed the baby often: 5 times a day. Portions should be small. Flavor each meal with vegetables.
And this ketogenic food should be kept to a minimum:
- fatty meat and fish;
- chocolate and muffins;
- smoked meat;
- beans and offal;
- mushrooms and dried fruits;
- oranges and kiwi;
- eggplants and tomatoes;
- fast food.
If a baby has ketonuria attacks periodically, the task of the parents is to do everything necessary to reduce their appearance. To do this, seek help from a pediatrician. Together you will develop a special diet for your child.
Therapy folk remedies
If your baby has a normal state of health, and the test shows a small acetone, try the following:
- Give your baby 2 glucose tablets. If they are not home, you can drink alkaline mineral water (without gas). You need to drink at least a liter a day;
- well removes acetone white cherry juice;
- Be sure to keep rehydration products at home, such as Regidron or Hydrovit. You can make them similar: take in equal parts salt, sugar and soda and dilute all with a liter of water. Heat medium to room temperature. Drink in small sips (10 ml);
- have a decoction of raisins. Proportions: 1 tbsp. raisins on a glass of water. Brew berries and leave for 20 minutes. When cool - give the child.
About the causes and symptoms of acetone in the urine of a child in the video:
To the attention of parents: watch your baby feel well. Always have test strips on hand to urgently determine the level of intoxication of the urine of a child if acetonuria is suspected. Do not despair. Remember that this condition is easily treatable, and in most cases you can do without medical care.